Prior to establishing the law firm of J ALVAREZ & ASSOCIATES, P.C., previously Law Office of Janet Alvarez, New York City Tax Commissioner and New York State Part 36 Certified Guardian, Fiduciary and Court Evaluator; Ms. Alvarez began her career as a law clerk for the City and County of Denver and as a Legal Research Analyst with the National Civic League in Denver, Colorado.
Ms. Alvarez went on to work as an Assistant District Attorney for the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office and subsequently accepted a position with the New York City Board of Education as a Hearing Officer, then Agency Attorney Administrative Trials and then Director, Management & Compliance Unit, Division of Funded & Community Resources. Ms. Alvarez was also a Senior Associate Director, Network Human Resources for Generations +/Northern Manhattan Health Network, the largest network of the New York City Health & Hospitals Corporation.
J ALVAREZ & ASSOCIATES, P.C. represent corporations, medium and small size businesses, non-profit entities and individuals in a wide array of legal and consulting matters. We provide our clients with quality legal services and personal attention at affordable rates.
Janet Alvarez Esq.
Ms. Alvarez earned her J.D. from the University of Denver, College of Law and holds a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Southern California, School of Business Administration. Ms. Alvarez is a member of the New York and New Jersey State Bars and is also admitted to practice in the U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, the District of New Jersey, as well as the U.S. Supreme Court. Ms. Alvarez is a New York State Licensed Real Estate Broker and Notary Public. She is also NYS and NYC M/WBE Certified and Blueprint Reading and Construction Graphics, Construction Costs Estimating, Construction Management and U.S. OSHA 30 hours Trained and Certified.
Ms. Alvarez is House Delegate to the New York State Bar Association, appointed by the Association of the Bar of the City of New York and was an appointee to the Committee on the Judiciary, for the Association of the Bar of the City of New York (Class of 2009) and Community Board 7. She is a past President of the Puerto Rican Bar Association and Chair of the Puerto Rican Bar Association Scholarship Fund, Inc. Gala Banquets.
Some of her professional and civic affiliations include: WABC-TV NEW YORK, Tiempo with Joe Torres, Guest, November 23, 2014, Somos El Futuro Legislative Conference, Diversity in the Judiciary, panelist, Fall 2005, United Hospital Fund New Leadership Group, member; Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation, National Selection Committee, member; Children’s Defense Fund National Conference Children in Need: Latino Children, panelist; and Defining A Language Policy For Education In A Global Economy, member.
Admissions to Practice Law
- United States Supreme Court
- Eastern and Southern Federal District Courts of New York
- New York State Bar
- Federal District Courts of New Jersey
- New Jersey State Bar
- State of New York Licensed Real Estate Broker
- State of New York Licensed Notary Public
- State of New York M/WBE Certified
- New York City M/WBE Certified
- Construction Management
- Blueprint Reading and Construction Graphics
- Construction Costs Estimating
- U.S. OSHA 30 Hours
Board Member and Civic/Volunteer Activities
- Judicial Delegate, Supreme Court New York County, Ansonia Independent Democrats, 2014 to 2017
- Manhattan Institute for Policy Research; Race, Culture and Achievement Initiative, Participant, 2005
- Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation, National Selection Committee, Member, 2002-2004
- United Hospital Fund New Leadership Group, Member, 1999-2003
- Defining A Language Policy For Education In A Global Economy, Member, 1999
- Community Board 7, Appointee, 2001-2004
- Committee Memberships: Ethics, Strategy and Budget, Land Use, Landmarks,Housing Committees including Public Housing Task Force
- The Freedom Academy Moot Court Team, Coach, 2000
- The Mediation Institute, Harlem Community Justice Center, Mediator, 1999
- Kings County District Attorney’s Office, Legal Lives Program, Teacher, 1996-1997
Honor and Leadership Recognition
- New York County Lawyers Association, 91st Annual Dinner, “A Celebration of Jurist and Lawyers of Color” Honoree President, Puerto Rican Bar Association, December 2005
- Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton, Puerto Rican Bar Association Scholarship Fund, Inc. Gala Banquet. Leadership Recognition, 2006
UNIVERSITY OF DENVER, COLLEGE OF LAW
Juris Doctor, May 1995
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA, SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
ADMINISTRATIONBachelor of Science, Business Administration/Finance, May 1990
30 HOURS U.S. DEPARTMENT OF LABOR OSHA, CONSTRUCTION SAFETY AND HEALTH, 2017
22.5 HOURS OF CONTINUING EDUCATION IN CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT, 2017
13 WEEKS INTENSIVE COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE COURSE FOR THE REAL ESTATE LAWYER, 2002